Employment at the Dubuque Arboretum
With the retirement of our current Director, the Dubuque Arboretum & Botanical Gardens has a potential job offering for a new Director. This is a full-time position beginning Fall 2021.
Job Title: Director
Reports to: Board Chairman and the Board of Directors
About the Dubuque Arboretum & Botanical Gardens
- The DABG is a, 501c3, Not For Profit corporation.
- Established in 1980, the Dubuque Arboretum & Botanical Gardens is a 57-acre campus on the west side of Dubuque that is admission-free. We are open 365 days a year.
- There are sixteen distinct botanical gardens, numerous arboretum collections as well as three dwarf conifer collections. Our collection of living plants, trees and shrubs have achieved museum status.
- The grounds are maintained by over 400 volunteers.
- A very popular annual summer program is our free Sunday evening concert series: 13 concerts, with an average attendance of between 1,500-3,000 per concert.
- We are a tourism destination, welcoming over 45,000 visitors annually.
The position entails:
- As the lead staff member of the Dubuque Arboretum & Botanical Gardens, the primary function of the Director is the management of the day-to-day operations of the DABG.
- This will encompass the physical facilities, gardens, equipment, and utilities.
- The Director will also be responsible for management & oversight of the staff & volunteers.
- Fiscal Management through the development of the annual budget and then implementing the Board-approved budget.
- The Director works with the Board of Directors. The position reports directly to the Board Chairman and the Board of Directors. With the Board, the Director will develop an Annual Strategic Plan defining the upcoming year’s operations, goals, and long-range visioning.
- The Director will participate and provide support for the active committees of the Board. The Planning, Operations, and Finance Committees.
- The Director will manage the income generation for the DABG. This will include marketing, grant opportunities, and donor relations.
- The Director will function as the public face of the DABG. An ambassador to organizations, businesses, groups and individuals. The Director will also be the primary contact for media sources.
Submission. Please submit your resume and qualifications:
- to President@DubuqueArboretum.net
- on or before September 28, 2021