About the Dubuque Arboretum
Established in 1980, the Dubuque Arboretum & Botanical Gardens in Marshall Park is a living museum developed by volunteers. Their work is a labor of love for all who visit The Gardens as well as a symbol of devotion for the growing things of the earth.
We love showing off our beautiful place! You’re invited to visit us throughout the year … to relax, to refresh, to restore, to rejuvenate. There’s a truly peaceful quality to the property as well as an overwhelming beauty that is the Dubuque Arboretum & Botanical Gardens itself. Don’t be surprised when you find yourself coming back again and again! And with no admission fee, it’s an easy choice to make. See you soon!
—Sandy Helgerson, Executive Director
ENTRANCE FEE: $0
There is no entrance fee to enjoy the Dubuque Arboretum grounds. (The Arboretum is a non-profit organization supported by memberships, gifts, memorials, and endorsements.)
The 56-acre grounds of the Dubuque Arboretum showcase a number of Special Attractions, including:
- Rose Garden | All-American Rose Selections, award-winning public display Rose Gardens + old garden roses, hybric, miniature and shrub roses
- English Garden | formal English Garden and Knot Garden.
- Japanese Garden
- Herb Garden
- Hosta Shade Garden | extensive hosta displays and gardens. 13,000 plants | 900 varieties
- Annual Gardens
- Prairie Wildflowers and Grasses
- Ornamental Tree and Shrub Collections
- Music in the Gardens | a celebration of a different art form — music — with the Arboretum as a beautiful backdrop
- Conifer Collections | nationally-recognized Bill Walter Dwarf Conifer and Hermsen Dward Conifer Collections
- Displays | Iris, Peony, Lily, Day Lily, Dahlia, Perennial, Cactus
- Water and Shade Gardens
- Woodland Wildflowers, Viburnum, Azalea and Lilacs
- The Lagen-Buelow Gazebo
- Packard Memorial Amphitheatre
- Heinemann Visitors Center, Gift Shop and Botanical Library
Other web pages on this site expand on a number of these special attractions.
Physical Grounds :: 7a to Dusk :: 365 days a year
- April 28 – September :: Mon-Fri: 9a to 8p | Sat: 9a to 5p | Sun: 10a to 5
- October :: Mon-Sat: 9a to 5p | Sun: 10a to 5p
- November – March :: Closed
- April – October :: Mon-Fri: 9a to 5p | Sat: 9a-Noon
- November – March :: Tue-Thur: 10a to 3p
- Holiday Closings :: Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day after Thanksgiving Day; Christmas Day through New Year’s Day.
- Conducted by Arboretum staff and volunteers throughout the regular season, tours are available 9a-4p Monday through Friday by reservation. To book your personal tour, please call 563.556.2100 in advance to make arrangements.
- Touring carts are available for visitors with limited walking ability. (To guarantee cart availability, please call 563.556.2100 in advance to make arrangements.)
For the safety and wellbeing of both people and plants … the Dubuque Arboretum & Botanical Gardens follows the rules that are applied to parks in the City of Dubuque: The City of Dubuque does not allow dogs in Marshall Park and the Arboretum. So, as much as we all love our furry friends, please leave your pooch and other pets at home. [Exception to the rule: service animals that are used for medical reasons.]
As with any other City of Dubuque park, alcoholic beverages and food are permitted. We ask, for the sake of everyone, that moderation be kept in mind.
Other Dubuque Arboretum Policies
- No skateboarding
- No smoking
- Professional photography fee required
Thank you for understanding.